Tulane is home to colleges and schools centered around liberal arts, sciences and the professions. A common Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences serves both the men's undergraduate Tulane College and the once-separate women's Newcomb College, also for undergraduates. The professions are organized into the following schools:
Tulane has a separate Graduate School, which offers advanced degrees in engineering, sciences, social sciences, humanities, and the fine arts. It also has a University College which serves the New Orleans community and focuses on continuing education.
The main campus is over 100 acres (0.4 km²) in uptown New Orleans, near the Audubon Zoo and just a streetcar ride away from downtown. Other locations include:
The University was founded in 1834 as the Medical College of Louisiana. With the addition of a law department, it was renamed The University of Louisiana in 1847, and was a public university. In 1851, an Academic Department, the forerunner of the College of Arts and Sciences, was established.
It closed during the Civil War; after reopening, it went through a period of financial challenges. Paul Tulane donated extensive real estate within New Orleans for the support of education; this donation led to the establishment of a Tulane Educational Fund (TEF), whose board of administrators sought to support the University of Louisiana instead of establishing a new university. In response, the Louisiana state legislature transferred control of the University of Louisiana to the administrators of the TEF in 1884. This act created the Tulane University of Louisiana.
In 1885, a Graduate Division was established, the predecessor to the Graduate School. One year later, gifts from Josephine Louise Newcomb totally over $3.6 million led to the establishment of H. Sophie Newcomb College within Tulane University. Newcomb was the first coordinate college for women in the United States.
In 1894 a College of Technology was formed, the forerunner to the College of Engineering. That was also the year that the university moved to its present-day uptown campus on St. Charles Avenue, five miles by streetcar from downtown.
An Architecture Department was established within the College of Technology in 1907. One year later, Schools of Dentistry and Pharmacy were created, though both were discontinued: Dentistry ended in 1928, and Pharmacy six years later.
In 1914, a College of Commerce was established, the first business school in the South.
1925 saw the formal establishment of the Graduate School. Two years later, a School of Social Work was established.
In July 2004, Tulane was the recipient of two $30 million donations to its endowment, the largest individual or combined gifts in the university's history. The donations came from Jim Clark, a member of the university's Board, and David Filo, a graduate of its School of Engineering. The gifts were particularly significant since Tulane's endowment, $722 million as of June 2004, was one of the lowest among the 62 members of the Association of American Universities.
Students and alumni
Those who've attended or graduated from Tulane include: