November 11 is the 315th day of the year (316th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 50 days remaining.
- 1620 - In what is now Provincetown Harbor near Cape Cod, the Mayflower Compact is signed on the Mayflower, establishing the basic laws for the Plymouth Colony.
- 1648 - France and the Netherlands agree to divide the island of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin.
- 1675 - Gottfried Leibniz demonstrated integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the y=x function.
- 1675 - Guru Gobind Singh becomes the Tenth Guru of the Sikhs.
- 1831 - In Jerusalem, Virginia, Nat Turner is hanged after inciting a violent slave uprising.
- 1864 - American Civil War: Sherman's March to the Sea - Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins burning Atlanta, Georgia to the ground in preparation for his march south.
- 1880 - Australian bushranger and bank robber Ned Kelly is hanged in Melbourne.
- 1889 - Washington is admitted as the 42nd U.S. state.
- 1911 - Many cities in the midwest broke their record highs and lows on the same day as a strong cold front rolls through. (see The 11/11/11 cold wave).
- 1918 - World War I ends: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside of CompiŔgne in France.
- 1918 - Jˇzef Piłsudski comes to Warsaw and assumes supreme military power in Poland.
- 1918 - Emperor Charles I of Austria abdicates.
- 1921 - The Tomb of the Unknowns is dedicated by US President Warren G. Harding at Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1930 - Patent number US1781541 was awarded to Albert Einstein and Leˇ Szilßrd for their invention, the Einstein Refrigerator.
- 1933 - Dust Bowl: In South Dakota, a very strong dust storm strips topsoil from desiccated farmlands .
- 1940 - World War II: Battle of Taranto - The Royal Navy launches the first aircraft carrier strike in history, on the Italian fleet at Taranto.
- 1940 - The German cruiser Atlantis captures top secret British mail, and sends it to Japan.
- 1940 - Armistice Day Blizzard: An unexpected blizzard kills 144 in U.S. Midwest.
- 1942 - The Road to Morocco, starring Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour, premieres.
- 1965 - Rhodesia (now called Zimbabwe) was declared independent by the white minority regime of Ian Smith.
- 1966 - NASA launches spaceship Gemini 12.
- 1967 - Vietnam War: In a propaganda ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, three American prisoners of war are released by the Viet Cong and turned over to "new left" antiwar activist Tom Hayden.
- 1968 - Vietnam War: Operation Commando Hunt initiated.
- 1968 - A second republic is declared in the Maldives.
- 1972 - Vietnam War: Vietnamization - The United States Army turns over the massive Long Binh military base to South Vietnam.
- 1975 - Angola becomes independent from Portugal.
- 1975 - Australian constitutional crisis of 1975: Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam is sacked by the Australian Governor General, Sir John Kerr.
- 1978 - Maumoon Abdul Gayoom succeeded Ibrahim Nasir as the president of the Republic of Maldives. He has since been re-elected for six consecutive 5-year terms.
- 1986 - Sperry Rand and Burroughs merge to form Unisys, becoming the second largest computer company.
- 1988 - In Sacramento, California, police find a body buried in the lawn of 60-year-old boardinghouse landlady Dorothea Puente .
- 1992 - The Church of England votes to allow women to become priests.
- 2000 - In Kaprun, Austria, 155 skiers and snowboarders die when a cable car catches fire in an alpine tunnel.
- 1050 - Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1106)
- 1154 - King Sancho I of Portugal (d. 1212)
- 1493 - Paracelsus, physician (d. 1541)
- 1633 - George Savile, 1st Marquess of Halifax, British statesman (d. 1695)
- 1668 - Johann Albert Fabricius, German classical scholar and bibliographer (d. 1736)
- 1744 - Abigail Adams, First Lady of the United States (d. 1818)
- 1748 - King Charles IV of Spain (d. 1819)
- 1791 - Josef Munzinger, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1855)
- 1792 - Mary Anne Evans, wife of Benjamin Disraeli (d. 1872)
- 1810 - Alfred de Musset, French dramatist, poet, and novelist (d. 1857)
- 1821 - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Russian novelist (d. 1881)
- 1828 - Sri Deep Narayan Mahaprabhuji, hindu saint
- 1852 - Franz Conrad von H÷tzendorf, Austro-Hungarian Chief of Staff, WWI (d. 1925)
- 1863 - Paul Signac, painter (d. 1935)
- 1864 - Alfred Hermann Fried, pacifist and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize 1911 (d. 1921)
- 1869 - King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy (d. 1947)
- 1882 - King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden (d. 1973)
- 1885 - George Patton, American general (d. 1945)
- 1887 - Roland Young, actor (d. 1953)
- 1889 - Clifton Webb, actor (d. 1966)
- 1891 - Rabbit Maranville, baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1954)
- 1897 - Lucky Luciano, mobster (d. 1962)
- 1901 - F. Van Wyck Mason, author
- 1903 - Sam Spiegel, film producer (d. 1985)
- 1904 - Alger Hiss, American government official, spy (d. 1994)
- 1904 - J. H. C. Whitehead, British mathematician (d. 1960)
- 1909 - Robert Ryan, actor (d. 1973)
- 1914 - Howard Fast, author (d. 2003)
- 1914 - Henry Wade, lawyer (d. 2001)
- 1915 - William Proxmire, former U.S. Senator
- 1920 - Roy Jenkins, British politician (d. 2003)
- 1922 - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., American novelist
- 1925 - June Whitfield, British comedienne
- 1925 - Jonathan Winters, comedian, actor
- 1927 - Mose Allison, jazz musician
- 1928 - LaVern Baker
- 1929 - Hans Magnus Enzensberger, poet
- 1940 - Barbara Boxer, U.S. Senator
- 1944 - Jesse Colin Young, musician ("The Youngbloods")
- 1945 - Daniel Ortega, Sandinista, President of Nicaragua
- 1953 - Marshall Crenshaw, musician
- 1962 - Demi Moore (born "Demetria Guynes"), actress
- 1959 - Lee Haney, American body builder
- 1964 - Calista Flockhart, American actress
- 1974 - Leonardo DiCaprio, American actor
- 1985 - Kalan Porter,Canadian singer Canadian Idol 2004
- 397 - Martin of Tours, French saint
- 537 - St. Silverius, Pope
- 1028 - Constantine VIII of the Byzantine Empire
- 1285 - Peter III of Aragon
- 1831 - Nat Turner, American leader of a slave rebellion
- 1855 - S°ren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher
- 1880 - Ned Kelly hanged
- 1880 - Lucretia Mott, American feminist, abolitionist
- 1917 - Liliuokalani of Hawaii, Queen of the Hawaiian Islands
- 1945 - Jerome David Kern, American composer
- 1974 - Alfonso Leng, Chilean composer
- 1975 - Theodosius Dobzhansky, Ukrainian geneticist
- 1979 - Dimitri Tiomkin, composer
- 1989 - Kenneth Maclean Glazier, Sr., minister, librarian, Secretary of the Liberal Party in Alberta
- 1995 - Corneliu Coposu, Romanian politician and dissident
- 1997 - Rodney Milburn, American athlete
- 1999 - Jacobo Timmerman, writer, journalist
- 1999 - Mary Kay Bergman, voice actor
- 2000 - Hugh Paddick, British actor
Holidays and observances
November 10 - November 12 - October 11 - December 11 -- listing of all days
ca:11 de novembre
es:11 de noviembre
eo:11-a de novembro
oc:11 de novembre
pt:11 de Novembro