Norway at the Summer Olympics
Norway at the 2004 Summer Olympics was represented by The Norwegian Olympic Committee and Confederation of Sports. 53 athletes competed in 12 sports in Athens.
Norway first participated in the 1900 Summer Olympics and has since competed in all Olympic summer games except for the 1904 games and the 1980 games which Norway boycotted. Historically, Norway's strongest sports have been sailing and shooting.
Norway's flag bearer in the opening ceremony was Harald Stenvaag.
Results by event
- Hans Olav Uldal - Decathlon: Finished 27th.
- Ronny Nilsen - Javelin: Did not advance to final, 27th overall.
- Andreas Thorkildsen - Javelin: Won.
- Marius Bakken - 5000 m: 12th in heat, did not qualify for final.
- Jim Svenøy - 3000 m Steeplechase: 10th in heat, did not advance to final. 29th overall.
- Trine Pilskog - 1500 m: 10th in heat, did not qualify for final.
- Stine Larsen - Marathon: Finished 24th.
- Kjersti Tysse Plätzer - 20 km Walk: Finished 12th.
- Trond Nymark - 50 km Walk: Finished 13th.
- Erik Tysse - Was qualified for the 20 km Walk, but withdrew before the Olympics due to illness.
- Bjørn Maaseide and Iver Horrem - Failed to proceed from preliminaries.
- Vegard Høidalen and Jørre Kjemperud - Defeated in round of 16.
- Kathrine Maaseide and Susanne Glesnes - Failed to proceed from preliminaries.
- Nila Håkedal and Ingrid Tørlen - Failed to proceed from preliminaries.
- Eirik Verås Larsen - K1 500 m: Finished 4th; K1 1000 m: Won; K2 1000 m: Finished 3rd.
- Nils Olav Fjeldheim - K2 1000 m: Finished 3rd.
- Mattis Næss, Andreas Gjersøe, Alexander Wefald and Jacob Norenberg - K4 1000 m: Finished 5th.
- Thor Hushovd - Road Race: Did not finish; Individual Time Trial: Finished 31st.
- Kurt Asle Arvesen - Road Race: Finished 9th; Individual Time Trial: Finished 27th.
- Mads Kaggestad - Road Race: Did not finish.
- Morten Hegreberg - Road Race: Did not finish.
- Anita Valen - Road Race: Finished 14th; Individual Time Trial: Finished 22nd.
- Lene Byberg - Road Race: Finished 48th.
- Linn Torp - Road Race: Finished 53rd.
- Gunn-Rita Dahle - Mountainbike: Won.
- Olaf Tufte - Men's Single Sculls: Won.
- Nils-Torolv Simonsen and Morten Gundro Adamsen - Men's Double Sculls: Finished 7th.
- Peer Moberg - Laser: Finished 21st.
- Christoffer Sundby and Frode Bovim - 49er: Finished 4th.
- Siren Sundby - Europe: Won.
- Jannicke Stålstrøm - Mistral: Finished 11th.
- Karianne Eikeland, Beate Kristiansen and Lise Birgitte Fredriksen - Yngling: Finished 9th.
- Harald Jensen - Skeet: Finished 6th.
- Erik Watndal - Skeet: Finished 8th.
- Harald Stenvaag - 50 m Rifle Prone: Finished 16th; 50 m Rifle 3 Positions: Finished 30th.
- Espen Berg-Knutsen - 10 m Air Rifle: Finished 41st; 50 m Rifle Prone: Finished 16th; 50 m Rifle 3 Positions: Finished 22nd.
- Leif Rune Rolland - 10 m Air Rifle: Finished 18th.
- Alexander Dahle Oen - 100 m Breaststroke: Failed to quailfy to the semi-final after finishing 21st.
- Nina Solheim - 67 kg: Proceeded to the quarter final, but was injured during the quarter final match and lost.
- Stian Grimseth - +105 kg: Snatch: 185 kg (12th out of 17 contestants), but was injured during Clean & Jerk and failed to finish.
- Fritz Aanes - Greco-Roman 84 kg: Won one match and lost one in the first elimination round, but failed to qualify for the next round.