July 1 is the 182nd day of the year (183rd in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 183 days remaining.
- 1097 - Battle of Dorylaeum Crusaders under Bohemond of Taranto defeat a Turkish army under Qilich Arslan I.
- 1690 - Battle of the Boyne as reckoned under Julian calendar.
- 1782 - American privateers attack Lunenburg Nova Scotia.
- 1858 - The joint reading of Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace's papers on evolution to the Linnean Society.
- 1863 - Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War begins.
- 1867 - The British North America Act takes effect as the constitution of Canada, creating the Canadian Confederation; John A. Macdonald sworn as first Prime Minister.
- 1870 - The United States Department of Justice formally comes into existence.
- 1873 - Prince Edward Island joins the Canadian Confederation.
- 1878 - Canada joins Universal Postal Union.
- 1881 - World's first international telephone call, between St. Stephen, New Brunswick and Calais, Maine.
- 1885 - United States terminates reciprocity and fishery agreement with Canada.
- 1890 - Canada and Bermuda linked by telegraph cable.
- 1904 - Games of the III Olympiad open in Saint Louis, Missouri.
- 1916 - First day of the First Battle of the Somme. On this first day, 20,000 soldiers of the British Army are killed, and 40,000 wounded. Lasts until November; about one million casualties.
- 1931 - Official opening of Milan Central Station.
- 1923 - Canadian Parliament suspends all Chinese immigration.
- 1935 - Regina, Saskatchewan police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police ambush strikers participating in On-to-Ottawa-Trek.
- 1947 - The Australian real estate franchise L. J. Hooker lists on the Australian Stock Exchange
- 1948 - Official opening of New York International Airport (now known as John F. Kennedy International Airport) at Idlewild.
- 1957 - The International Geophysical Year begins (until December 31, 1958).
- 1958 - The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation links television broadcasting across Canada via microwave.
- 1958 - Flooding of the St. Lawrence Seaway begins.
- 1960 - Independence of Somalia.
- 1962 - Independence of Rwanda.
- 1962 - Independence of Burundi.
- 1963 - Zip code introduced for United States mail.
- 1963 - The British Government admits that former diplomat Kim Philby had worked as a Soviet agent.
- 1966 - First colour television transmission in Canada, from Toronto.
- 1967 - The European Community is formally created out of a merger with the Common Market, the European Coal and Steel Community, and the European Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1968 - Nuclear non-proliferation treaty signed by about sixty countries in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1968 - Formal separation of the United Auto Workers with the AFL-CIO.
- 1969 - Rock group The Band release their influencial debut Music From Big Pink.
- 1972 - Andreas Baader, Jan-Carl Raspe and Holger Meins of the Red Army Faction are captured in Frankfurt after a shootout with the police.
- 1979 - Sony introduces the Walkman.
- 1980 - O Canada officially becomes the national anthem of Canada.
- 1986 - In an interview with Playboy magazine, science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke comes out as a bisexual.
- 1987 - Excavation begins on the Channel Tunnel.
- 1988 - Bologna, Italy: Quartetto Cetra's last concert after over forty years' musical career.
- 1990 - East Germany accepts the deutsche mark as its currency, thus uniting the economies of East and West Germany.
- 1991 - The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved.
- 1997 - The United Kingdom hands sovereignty over Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China.
- 1999 - First opening of the Scottish parliament in nearly three centuries.
- 2000 - Vermont's civil unions law goes into effect.
- 2002 - A Bashkirian Airlines Tupolev TU-154 and a DHL (German cargo) Boeing 757 collide in mid-air over southern Germany, killing 71.
- 2003 - 500,000 people take part in a march in Hong Kong to protest, amongst other things, the government's handling of the plans to implement a new anti-subversion law required under Article 23 of Hong Kong's Basic Law.
- 2004 - Saturn Orbit Insertion of Cassini-Huygens begins at 01:12 UT and ends at 02:48 UT.
- 1646 - Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, mathematician, philosopher (d. 1716)
- 1804 - George Sand (Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin), writer (d. 1876)
- 1863 - William Stairs, Victorian explorer (d. 1892)
- 1879 - William Strunk Jr., grammarian (d. 1946)
- 1872 - Louis Blériot, first man to fly across the English Channel (d. 1936)
- 1899 - Charles Laughton, Academy Award winning actor (d. 1962)
- 1899 - Thomas A. Dorsey, father of gospel music (d. 1993)
- 1902 - William Wyler, three-time Academy Award winning director (d. 1981)
- 1903 - Amy Johnson, aviator (d. 1941)
- 1906 - Estée Lauder, cosmetics pioneer (d. 2004)
- 1909 - Bill Stern, sportscaster
- 1912 - David R. Brower, founder of many environmentalist organizations (d. 2000)
- 1916 - Olivia de Havilland, actress
- 1917 - Rolf Rodenstock, industrialist (d. 1977)
- 1930 - Bobby Day, singer (d. 1990)
- 1931 - Leslie Caron, actress
- 1934 - Jean Marsh, actress, originator of Upstairs, Downstairs
- 1934 - Sydney Pollack, film director, producer, actor
- 1934 - Jamie Farr, actor
- 1941 - Twyla Tharpe, choreographer
- 1942 - Andraé Crouch, singer, conductor, actor
- 1942 - Genevičve Bujold, actress
- 1945 - Deborah Harry, musician, Blondie
- 1946 - June Montiero, singer formerly of the group the Toys
- 1951 - Fred Schneider, keyboardist, The B-52's
- 1952 - Dan Aykroyd, actor
- 1960 - Evelyn King, singer
- 1961 - Diana, Princess of Wales, (d. 1997)
- 1961 - Carl Lewis, American athletics legend, nine-time Olympic gold medalist
- 1961 - Michelle Wright, singer/guitarist, songwriter, drummer
- 1965 - Harald Zwart, Norwegian film director
- 1967 - Pamela Anderson, actress
- 1971 - Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott, hip hop artist
- 1972 - Claire Forlani, actress
- 1976 - Patrick Kluivert, Dutch football player
- 1976 - Ruud van Nistelrooy, Dutch football player
- 1977 - Jarome Iginla, NHL hockey player
- 1977 - Liv Tyler, actress
- 868 - Ali al-Hadi, Shia Imam
- 1277 - Baibars, Mameluk sultan of Egypt
- 1566 - Nostradamus
- 1894 - Allan Pinkerton, founder Pinkerton Agency
- 1896 - Harriet Beecher Stowe, author
- 1925 - Erik Satie, French composer
- 1950 - Eliel Saarinen, architect, father of Eero Saarinen (b. 1873)
- 1964 - Pierre Monteux, conductor
- 1965 - Wally Hammond, cricketer
- 1974 - Juan Domingo Perón, President of Argentina (b. 1895)
- 1983 - R. Buckminster Fuller, architect, philosopher
- 1984 - Moshe Feldenkrais, founder of the Feldenkrais Method
- 1991 - Michael Landon, actor, director, producer (b. 1936)
- 1995 - Wolfman Jack, radio personality (b. 1939)
- 1997 - Robert Mitchum, actor
- 1999 - Edward Dmytryk, director
- 1999 - Forrest Mars Sr., founder of the Mars company
- 2000 - Walter Matthau, American actor
- 2003 - Herbie Mann, jazz flautist
- 2003 - N!xau, Namibian bushman who appeared in The Gods Must Be Crazy (b. 1944?)
- 2004 - Marlon Brando, actor
Holidays and observances
June 30 - July 2 - June 1 - August 1 -- listing of all days
ca:1 de juliol
es:1 de julio
eo:1-a de julio
oc:1 de julhet
pt:1 de Julho