Home improvement is the process of renovating or making additions to one's home. Often, a professional handyman is hired to perform the improvements but, typically, most improvements are done on an amateur DIY basis by the homeowner.
Bob Vila is a well-known author and televsion host in the home improvement field. Also, the sitcom Home Improvement uses the home improvement theme for comedic purposes.
Typical kinds of home improvement include:
- wallpapering and painting walls or installing wood paneling
- adding new flooring such as carpets, tiling, linoleum, or wood flooring
- upgrading cabinets, fixtures, and sinks in the kitchen and bathroom
- repairing or increasing the capacity of plumbing and electrical systems
- turning marginal areas into livable spaces such as turning basements into recrooms or attics into spare bedrooms
- reducing utility costs with:
- extending one's house with rooms added to the side of one's home or, sometimes, extra levels to the original roof
- improving the backyard with sliding doors, wooden patio decks, patio gardens, jacuzzis, swimming pools, and fencing
- emergency preparedness safety measures such as:
- Home Repair & Improvement -- Information and Directory (http://www.homerenovationscenter.com)