1987 in sports,
other events of 1988,
1989 in sports and the
list of 'years in sports'.
- January 12: Former Pirates slugger Willie Stargell is the only player elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Stargell, leader of two world champions in Pittsburgh and NL co-MVP in 1979 at age 39, becomes the 17th player to be elected in his first year of eligibility. Jim Bunning falls four votes shy of the 321 needed for election in his 13th year on the ballot.
- August 8: The first night game ever at Wrigley Field is scheduled, but is rained out. The history-making game would be played the following night.
- January 5 - Pete Maravich NBA basketball hall of famer
- February 28 - Harvey Kuenn, Major League Baseball player (1952-1966)
- March 16 - Mickey Thompson, auto race driver - murdered
- March 19 - Bun Cook, NHL Hockey Hall of Fame player,
- March 21 - Edd Roush, Major League Baseball player (1913-1931)
- March 29 - Ted Kluszewski, Major League Baseball player (1947-1961)
- April 10 - Cliff Gladwin, English cricketer
- August 14 - Enzo Ferrari, automobile manufacturer
- October 13 - Mike Venezia, jockey, racing accident at Belmont Park
- October 22 - Henry Armstrong, World boxing champion
- November 21 - "King" Carl Hubbell, Major League Baseball pitcher (1928-1943)