1913 is a common year starting on Wednesday. (click on link for calendar)
- April 8 - Passing of the Seventeenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, dictating the direct election of senators.
- April 24 - Woolworth Building opening ceremony.
- May 13 - Igor Sikorsky becomes the first person to pilot a four engine aircraft.
- May 14 - New York Governor William Sulzer approves the charter for the Rockefeller Foundation which begins operations with a $100,000,000 donation from John D. Rockefeller.
- May 29 - Igor Stravinsky's ballet score The Rite of Spring is premiered in Paris
- May 30 - First Balkan War: A peace treaty is signed in London ending the war.
- June 4 - Emily Davison, a suffragette, runs out in front of the king's horse, Anmer, at the Epsom Derby. She is trampled and dies a few days later, never having regained consciousness.
- June 15 - Bud Bagsak Massacre: US troops under General John 'Black Jack' Pershing kill at least 2,000 relatively defenceless men, women and children, Bud Bagsak, Philippines.
- July 3 - Commemeration of the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg draws thousands of United States Civil War veterans and their families to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- July 10 - Death Valley, California hits 134 °F (~56.7 °C) which is the highest temperature recorded in the United States (as of2004).
- August 20 - 700 feet above Buc, France, parachutist Adolphe Pegond becomes the first person to jump from an airplane and land safely.
- September 23 - French aviator Roland Garros flies over the Mediterranean
- September 29 - Rudolf Diesel disappears enroute to Britain
- January 6 - Loretta Young, actress (d. 2000)
- January 9 - Richard M. Nixon, President of the United States (d. 1994)
- January 15 - Lloyd Bridges, actor (d. 1998)
- January 18 - Danny Kaye, actor (d. 1987)
- January 29 - Peter von Zahn, journalist and writer (d. 2001)
- February 4 - Rosa Parks, civil rights activist
- February 6 - Mary Leakey, anthropologist (d. 1996)
- February 9 - Gypsy Rose Lee, actress, ecdysiast (d. 1970)
- February 11 - Lucio Diestro, composer.
- February 13 - George Barker, British poet (d. 1991)
- February 14 - Jimmy Hoffa, labor union leader (d. 1975 - disappeared)
- February 14 - Mel Allen, sports reporter (d. 1996)
- February 25 - Gert Fröbe, actor (d. 1988)
- February 25 - Jim Backus, actor (d. 1989)
- February 27 - Irwin Shaw, writer (d. 1984)
- March 4 - John Garfield, actor (d. 1952)
- March 13 - William Casey, director of the Central Intelligence Agency (d. 1987)
- March 18 - René Clément, French film director (d. 1996)
- March 29 - Tony Zale, world champion boxer (d. 1997)
- March 29 - R. S. Thomas, Welsh poet (d. 2000)
- March 30 - Richard Helms, director of the Central Intelligence Agency (d. 2002)
- March 30 - Frankie Laine, singer
- April 27 - Philip Hauge Abelson, physicist co-discoverer of Neptunium (d. 2004)
- May 11 - Robert Jungk, publicist and futurologist (d. 1994)
- May 16 - Woody Herman, musician, band leader (d. 1987)
- May 20 - William Hewlett, cofounder of Hewlett-Packard (d. 2001)
- May 26 - Peter Cushing, British actor (d. 1994)
- June 10 - Tikhon Khrennikov, Soviet composer
- June 11 - Vince Lombardi, American football coach (d. 1970)
- June 18 – Robert Mondavi, leading American wine maker
- June 28 - Franz Antel, Austrian filmmaker
- July 14 - Gerald Ford, American president
- July 22 - Gorni Kramer, Italian bandleader and songwriter
- August 28 - Robertson Davies, Canadian novelist (d. 1995)
- September 5 - Frank Thomas, Disney animator (d. 2004)
- September 12 - Jesse Owens, American athlete (d. 1980)
- September 15 - John N. Mitchell, former United States Attorney General and convicted Watergate criminal (d. 1988)
- September 29 - Stanley Kramer, Academy Award Winning Movie Producer, director, and writer (d. 2001)
- September 29 - Trevor Howard, actor (d. 1988)
- September 29 - Silvio Piola, all-time highest Serie A goalscorer (d. 1996)
- September 30 - Bill Walsh, Movie producer and writer (d. 1975)
- November 2 - Burt Lancaster, actor (d. 1994)
- November 5 - Vivien Leigh, British actress (d. 1967)
- November 7 - Albert Camus, writer (d. 1960)
- November 10 - Álvaro Cunhal, Portuguese communist politician
- November 22 - Benjamin Britten, composer (d. 1976)
- December 6 - Eleanor Holm - American swimmer (d. 2004)
- January 1 - Alfred von Schlieffen, German field marshal
- January 2 - Léon Teisserenc de Bort, French meteorologist
- February 26 - Felix Draeseke, German composer
- March 10 - Harriet Tubman, Underground Railroad conductor, anti-slavery activist
- March 22 - Sung Chiao-jen, a founder of KMT
- March 31 - John Pierpont Morgan, American financier and banker
- June 5 - Chris von der Ahe, brewer, baseball owner
- July 3 - Horatio Nelson Young, American naval hero
- October 5 - Hans von Bartels, German painter
- December 12 - Menelik II, Emperor of Ethiopia
- Alfred Russel Wallace, Welsh biologist