(10th century - 11th century - 12th century - other centuries)
As a means of recording the passage of time, the 11th century was that century which lasted from 1001 to 1100.
- 1000 (cca), Vikings, led by Leif Eirikson, establish small settlements at and around Vinland in North America
- 1054, the Great Schism, in which the Western (Roman Catholic) and Eastern Orthodox churches separated from each other. Similar schisms in the past had been later repaired, but this one continues after nearly 1000 years.
- 1065, independence of the Kingdom of Galicia and Portugal under the rule of Garcia
- 1066, Norman conquest of England
- 1094, El Cid, the great Spanish hero, conquers the Moorish city of Valencia
- 1099, First Crusade captures Jerusalem
- King Anawrahta of Myanmar made a pilgrimage to Ceylon, returning to convert his country to Theravada Buddhism.
Inventions, discoveries, introductions
Decades and years